Wednesday, October 24, 2012

so I got a little ahead of myself posting the progress shots.


Wednesday is inspiration day. One of my biggest inspirations for the first page is Byzantine art. The first panel has a statue of Jonas, who is a religious figure in the book. Getting ready to do this panel and as I thought a lot about what I wanted it to look like, I started thinking about early Greek statues. There's just something that's really endearing to me about the lack of skill yet the dedication the statues. In the end I decided to go with more of the Byzantine look where they haven't really grasped a lot of the facial expressions, and eyes were really big and creepy. While religion doesn't play a big part in a story, it does play a lot into some of the societies that I picked out for settings. The Statue doesn't really look exactly Byzantine. I did take a little bit from the Renaissance era were the bodies were a lot closer to the actual proportions... But things like the hands being very large appeals to me somehow. I looked at statues such is David by Michelangelo as well as some of his paintings on the Sistine Chapel. It's obvious he understood anatomy, but didn't understand the female body. In a sculpture in a ruin of an older civilization, I feel like those kind of things would be something that you would find.

No comments:

Post a Comment