Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Inspiration: Gone With the Wind

So I'm sure from seeing the previews of page two, you've noticed the big dresses and civil war suits. I actually didn't get a great deal done tonight because I put in Gone With the Wind--one of my favorite movies. I didn't remember that Scarlett was half Irish--which was kind of funny to me. I did get to relive why I wanted to use Scarlett as a main character inspiration for Mikala. She's coy and charms the men. Earlier versions of the story had girls plotting to dumb punch on Mikala, men surrounding Mikala as she sat aside being generally bored with the night's events.

Again there's the theme of strength with the women I chose to model who I wanted Mikala to be. I noticed a tenderness with Scarlett, who fights desperately to need no one. There's still a decent amount of writing going on, so I know I'll be thinking to that as I edit the next 3/4 of the story.

And, finally, the setting captured me. I live in Atlanta now, and I lived in Savannah a few years. Trust me, it's not the same. (Ha!) But the southern antebellum look took me in. Originally this setting was only for about ten pages and it was never to be seen again. Don't worry. We'll spend a later issue back in the beauty of the deep south.

Some progress shots tomorrow of some furthered images of page 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment