Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Inspiration: Space and all its uses

I'm not really sure how much I've talked about how I'd like to utilize space on the blog--I'm too young for memory loss...--but it's something that plays a big part in the story? Remember that log line? Space is the half of it. I'm not a huge follower of planets and moons and all that gobbledygook that goes with it. I'm still learning about life here on Earth. A lot of my designations for space come from other media.

No, I'm not saying that I'm stealing anything. More of just reaffirming my plans.

I really like the visual of old pirate ships. ("Because I like _____." is my reason for doing a lot of things in the story...). I wasn't sure how this would jive with audiences and a friend brought up a Disney movie I loved.


Treasure Planet!!!

Talking to her about this also quelled another fear of mine: breathing in space. I say, it's only an issue if you bring it up. It's the same in this movie. Because they can. I don't make up the rules, but I will always try to.

But space is mostly used in the comic because I like certain time periods and want to draw them.

I find that two film series exemplify this:

Star Wars:
Firefly/Serenity:


These are two very popular sci-fi series who approach life on different planets in unique ways. Star Wars is the only thing I admit to borrowing from. Lucas Films made an amazing decision when each planet was a different color theme. This way, even if you weren't really following, you could still figure out that people were in vastly different locations.

Firefly was great for me because it was another one of those reaffirming moments. Each planet had its own unique civilization, building style, etc. So when I was trying to explain to someone that each planet would have a different look, and a different culture. Joss Whedon (love love) was unknowingly to my rescue.

This is a subject I'm sure I'll divulge more into, but right now that seems like a very sufficient overview. If you have specific questions, feel free to rattle them off and I will address them in a future post.

On an unrelated note, in case you wanted to know, my computer's dictionary made sure I spelled gobbledygook correctly. Win.

Progress shot tomorrow. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment